Universities in Glasgow, Manchester and Exeter have already planned welcome events for new students
The week-long event is one of the most exciting parts of the course.
From getting to know your roommates to partying in the Studentenwerk to snagging freebies at the Freshmen’s Fair, there’s something for everyone.
But when is freshman week and what can you expect? Here’s everything you need to know.
What is freshman week?
Right of passage for students, first semester week is the time at the beginning of the course.
Sometimes referred to as Welcome Week, it’s a time to make friends, meet your roommates, settle into your local area, and become familiar with your campus before classes begin.
There’s a lot to do, from attending social events to getting to know clubs and societies at freshman fairs to ticking off university administration that needs to be done.
It’s not all nights in town, you must register for your course during freshman week, with some universities fining students if they don’t do so by a set deadline.
Your university will also offer introductory sessions with your program director, library, student union, and careers office, which you may need to attend.
The first semester week lasts one week at some universities, while others spread the events over several weeks.
When do students arrive at the university?
The date students arrive at the university varies by institution.
Most students arrive in time for Freshman Week, with lectures and classes beginning after Welcome Week is over.
Start dates vary across the UK, with students in Scotland starting the semester earlier.
It is important that you contact your institution to confirm when your start date is and when you need to complete registration.
When is the first semester week 2022?
The date of the freshman week may vary depending on the university.
It usually takes place in the last week of September, but if you go to university in Scotland, freshman week takes place in the middle of the month.
It is best to check with your institution when freshman week is held, as these are the dates when you go to university.
Here are the Freshers Week 2022 dates for a selection of universities across the UK:
- University of Manchester: Monday 19 September to Sunday 25 September
- University of Glasgow: Monday 12 September to Sunday 18 September
- University of Exeter: Monday 19 September to Sunday 25 September
- Edinburgh University: Monday 12 September to Sunday 18 September
- University College London: Monday 26 September to Sunday 2 October
- University of Birmingham: Monday 19 September to Sunday 25 September
- University of Bath: Monday 26 September to Sunday 2 October
- University of Oxford: Sunday 2nd October to Sunday 9th October
- Cambridge University: Monday 1 August to Friday 30 September
- University of Bristol: Sunday 18 September to Sunday 25 September
- Cardiff University: Saturday 25 September to Sunday 2 October