The word “patty” had gamers furious, with one writing on Twitter: “It’s not even a word we use in the UK!”
Wordle players were again confused by the game’s response on Tuesday, August 9th.
Fans have struggled to complete the latest challenge, complaining that it’s not a common word in the UK.
This time, another curveball was thrown as players struggled to solve the five-letter word “patty.”
The web game Wordle has taken the world by storm since it was released last October and is played by thousands of people every day.
What did Wordle players say?
Many UK fans were particularly frustrated by this challenge.
They took to social media to insist that “patty” is an American word and not common in the UK.
One fan wrote on Twitter: “Damn it Wordle… once again you RUINED my day!!! That’s not even a word we use in the UK! Ok, let’s do a little… ”
Another said: “Not English in my honest opinion. Wordle 416 4/6.”
Another player wrote: “The attempted destruction of the English language continues WORDLE 416 – ‘The word ‘xxxxx’ is also used in American English, but is almost unknown in British English’ If you want to insinuate your illiteracy, please try to confine it to material that only years could read.”
One player even said that British players are at a disadvantage because of this choice of words. “There’s been a lot of American usages lately. Leaves us English speakers at a disadvantage Wordle 416 4/6*”
What does patty mean?
Patty is a noun which, according to the Cambridge dictionary, means ‘a piece of sliced food which is then cooked’.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the word patty as “finely chopped meat, fish, etc., formed into a small, round, flat shape of a hamburger patty”.
There is also an additional North American meaning, referring to “a small round, flat, chocolate-covered mint.”
In the UK, patty is most commonly used to mean a Jamaican-style cake that looks a little like a Cornish pasty or calzone.
The word is not particularly prominent in everyday speech.
How do you use “patty” in a sentence?
Here are some examples of how you can use the word “patty” in a sentence:
- Season with salt and pepper and form into round patties, press the mixture together.
- The restaurant’s most famous dish is the Krabby Patty, a delicious hamburger with a secret ingredient.
- The addition of egg replacer and bread or cracker crumbs binds the veggies together into a burger patty, and added spices add a flavor boost.
- After you remove the patty, let it cool a bit and then either roll it up or slice it like a quesadilla, add pretty much anything you like, or just eat it.
- The vegan curry soup or the fishball and fish patty soup are popular.