What Happened To Anton Black? Boy, 19, Died From Police Brutality For Racial Prejudice

Advertisement

A 19-year-old black man died while being arrested by Maryland police in 2018, and according to the deceased’s family, his “unreal and senseless” passing has fueled racial resentment in the neighborhood.

US District Judge Catherine Blake declined to dismiss the family’s claims that Black was subjected to excessive police violence in January 2022.

Advertisement

Bodycam video of the fatal incident did not conclusively refute the family’s claims that Black had been subjected to excessive force by officers, according to Blake’s 27-page conclusion.

Dateline spent a full year investigating Black’s death and the connections to Floyd’s murder. What had Anton Black experienced? NBC airs an hour-long special every Friday at 10 p.m. EST.

Advertisement

Anton Schwarz

Advertisement

Dateline: What happened to Anton Black?

Anton Black died after being chased by white police officers and detained for six minutes outside his family’s home in a rural Greensboro.

Eight months after a court refused to dismiss the family’s lawsuit alleging police use of force, Black’s parents are speaking out.

Advertisement

An autopsy report on Black’s death was released in 2019, two days after Maryland Governor Larry Hogan expressed dissatisfaction with the progress of the investigation.

Black’s death was an accident, and the state coroner’s autopsy report concluded that his congenital heart defect, mental instability, and stress from the conflict were likely to blame.

Advertisement

Black’s true cause of death was asphyxiation, according to a Johns Hopkins University cardiologist who monitored the family’s case.

dr David Fowler, who held the position of Maryland’s chief medical examiner until his retirement in 2019, ensured that Black’s autopsy was legitimate and accurate.

Advertisement

A family friend named Christina Robinson blames the police for Black’s death, despite knowing that many white residents in the neighborhood have supported the police.

19-year-old Anton Black died of police brutality because of racial prejudice

According to Dailymail.com, Anton Black died on September 15, 2018 after a confrontation with Greensboro police on his mother’s porch.

Advertisement

He stands in front of his mother’s door and waits. He just wanted to go home. When he’s home, why are you still ignoring him? Antone Black, his father, reportedly told Dateline about it.

And he said, “That’s not right.” He didn’t attack anyone. He didn’t commit a bank robbery. He didn’t murder anyone.”

Advertisement

After a 911 call reported a man dragging a child in a headlock down the street, retired officer Thomas Webster IV could be seen speaking to the child on body camera video of the incident.

The youth, a friend of Black’s family, informed the officer that Black was acting strangely because he was “schizophrenic.”

Advertisement

When Webster ordered Black to put his hands behind his back and submit to the arrest, Black said, “I love you.” He then did an about-face, ran back to his parents’ house, and got into a car.

Black lost consciousness when he was attacked by Webster and two other officers, retired Ridgley Police Chief Gary Manos and Centerville Police Officer Dennis Lannon. They were off duty when Manos and Lannon tried to help Webster capture Black.

Advertisement

Where is Anton Black Killer Officer Thomas Webster now?

Thomas Webster, a former Greensboro police officer who has been charged with aggravated crimes and is the subject of a lawsuit, is unlikely to be in jail now.

No one has ever been arrested or charged since Anton’s death was ruled an accident.

Advertisement

Under Greensboro Police Department policy, the court concluded that when Webster smashed the car window and shocked Black, he was not attempting to diffuse the situation or avoid responding to a person experiencing a mental health crisis.

In one of those incidents, when Thomas was arrested in 2013, he kicked a black man in the face and broke his jaw. He was found not guilty, although dashcam video clearly demonstrates that.

Advertisement

After being charged with second-degree aggravated assault, he quit his job in Dover with seemingly no major problems and a sizeable $230,000 severance package.

Advertisement