A physicist will continue his big arena tour in the UK with two more sold-out shows.
Professor Brian Cox brings his film Horizons: A 21st Century Space Odyssey to the Royal Opera House in London.
Today there are two performances and both are completely sold out.
The tour will then continue in Brighton later in August before playing other famous venues in the UK and Ireland.
Here’s everything you need to know:
When are the Royal Opera House performances?
The matinee show starts at 2.30pm at the famous London venue.
A second show then begins at 7.30pm at the Royal Opera House.
How long does the show last?
Horizons: A 21st Century Space Odyssey lasts approximately 2 hours 30 minutes.
Act I lasts about an hour, there is a 25 minute intermission and then Act II lasts about 1 hour and 5 minutes.
What to expect from the show?
“A story about how we came to be and what we can become.
“Arena will be filled with images of far away galaxies, extraterrestrial worlds, supermassive black holes and a time before the big bang using cutting-edge LED screen technology.
“What is the nature of space and time? Why does the universe exist? How did life originate, how rare was it and what is the significance of life in the cosmos?”
It continues: “What does it mean to live a small, finite life in a vast, eternal universe?
“The deepest questions are explored through the latest advances in our understanding of quantum theory, black holes, biology, planetary science, astronomy and cosmology.
“Horizons is a celebration of our civilization, our music, art, philosophy and science; an optimistic vision of our future if we continue to explore nature with humility and value ourselves and those around us.
“Brian will again be joined by co-host of The Infinite Monkey Cage and award-winning comedian Robin Ince, perhaps the only collection of sentient atoms in the observable universe capable of leading a Q&A with an audience of 10,000 people as they an old dress wears a cardigan.”
can you get tickets
Brian Cox’s website says both the matinee and evening shows are sold out tonight at the Royal Opera House.
Tickets start from £60 each.
How to get to the Royal Opera House?
The full address of the venue is: Royal Opera House, Bow Street, London, WC2E 9DD.
The nearest underground stations are Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Holborn, Charing Cross and Tottenham Court Road.
The nearest mainline stations are Charing Cross, Waterloo and Euston.
Our nearest bus stations are Aldwych, Drury Lane and Leicester Square Station.
The nearest bike stations in Santander are Tavistock Street, Wellington Street and Drury Lane.
What are the other tour dates?
- 29 August – Brighton Center – Brighton
- 30 August – Brighton Center – Brighton
- 31 August – The O2 – London
- 1 September – Edinburgh Playhouse – Edinburgh
- 3rd September – Motorpoint Arena – Cardiff
- 4th September – Motorpoint Arena – Cardiff
- September 6 – 3Arena – Dublin, Ireland
- 7th September – The SSE Arena – Belfast, Northern Ireland
- 10th September – First Direct Arena – Leeds
- 11 September – Utilita Arena Birmingham – Birmingham
- 12 September – Motorpoint Arena – Nottingham
- September 14th – Bonus Arena – Hull
- September 15th – Bonus Arena – Hull
- September 16 – Sheffield Arena – Sheffield
- 17th September – Utilita Arena Newcastle – Newcastle on Tyne
- 18 September – P&J Live – Aberdeen
- 19 September – M&S Bank Arena – Liverpool
- 20th September – Derby Arena – Derby
- September 22 – AO Arena – Manchester
- 23 September – BIC, Windsor Hall – Bournemouth
- 24 September – BIC, Windsor Hall – Bournemouth
- 25 September – Pavilions – Plymouth
- 26 September – Pavilions – Plymouth
- 28 September – Ovo Arena, Wembley – London
- September 29 – East of England Arena – Peterborough
Why was the tour postponed?
The tour was supposed to take place in 2021 but was postponed.
It was originally called Horizons: A 2021 Space Odyssey.
Cox said: “We understand this will be disappointing but we look forward to seeing everyone in 2022,” he said.
“We have renamed the tour Horizons: A 21st Century Space Odyssey. Hopefully that’s enough.”
According to a statement, the “difficult” decision was made because a positive test in the tour team could “ruthless the rest of the tour”.
Is Brian Cox Married?
He married US science presenter Gia Milinovich in Duluth, Minnesota in 2003.
They have a son who was born in 2009, and Milinovich has a son from a previous relationship.