The 2013 Open Championship winner and three-time winner of The Masters will feature in the first round of the highly controversial new event.
The three-time winner of The Masters, two-time PGA Championship winner and 2013 Open Championship winner has spoken publicly about the new series on a number of occasions and has added fresh comments after confirming his place.
Here’s what you need to know about what he’s previously said and his recent comments:
What did Phil Mickelson initially say about Saudi Arabia?
In February, Mickelson publicly spoke out in favor of the new league, but also made several comments about the nation of Saudi Arabia that allegedly caused offense.
The 51-year-old spoke to Alan Shipnuck, who is writing an unauthorized biography of the US PGA Champion, in November 2021, with the author’s comments released on Friday February 18, 2022.
Mickelson said he supports the new league because it would give US golfers “a unique opportunity to transform the way the Professional Golf Association works,” but also said Saudi Arabia has “a terrible human rights record”. .
In a phone interview with author Shipnuck, Mickelson said the Saudis are “scary moms to deal with.”
Mickleson added: “They execute people there because they’re gay. Knowing all this, why should I even consider it? Because this is a unique opportunity to transform the way the PGA Tour operates.”
Following the comments, Mickelson decided to take time off from sports, including the US Open and the PGA Championship, of which he was the reigning champion.
Mickeson would then apologize, saying: “While it does not appear so now from my recent comments, my actions during this process have always been in the best interests of golf, my colleagues, sponsors and fans.
“There’s a problem with off-record comments being taken out of context and shared without my consent, but the bigger problem is that I used words that I sincerely regret that don’t reflect my true feelings or intentions.
“It was reckless, I insulted people, and I’m deeply sorry for my choice of words. I am beyond disappointed and will make every effort to think about it.”
Latest comments from Phil Mickelson
Mickelson tweeted Monday, June 6th, confirming his attendance at the first event of the Saudi-backed series.
The statement read: “First and foremost, I would like to once again apologize to the many people I offended and hurt with my comments a few months ago.
“I’ve made mistakes in some of the things I’ve said and done in my career. Taking time and self-reflection was very humbling.
“I had to start prioritizing the people I love the most and work on becoming a better version of myself.
“I’ve spent that time with Amy and her loved ones. I have continued the therapy with commitment and intention and I feel healthy and much more peaceful.
“I realize I still have a long way to go, but I look forward to the work that lies ahead.”