Met Police open investigation into Mo Farah’s revelation

Advertisement

The four-time Olympic champion revealed he was illegally brought to the UK from Somalia under the name of another child

The Metropolitan Police have opened an investigation into Sir Mo Farah’s revelation that he was illegally brought to the UK under another child’s name.

Advertisement

The four-time Olympic gold medalist revealed in the BBC documentary aired on Wednesday night (July 13) that he was illegally brought to the UK from Somalia after his father was killed in the civil war.

Register to our Mazic News Today Newsletter

In a statement, the Met said: “We are aware of reports in the media about Sir Mo Farah. So far, no reports have been sent to the MPS (Metropolitan Police Service).

Advertisement

“Special representatives have launched an investigation and are currently evaluating the available information.”

The Home Office previously confirmed it would take no action against Sir Mo after he disclosed the information.

Advertisement

What did Mo Farah say after his revelation?

Sir Mo Farah said he was relieved the Home Office would not take action against him following the revelation.

Advertisement

Before the broadcast, Sir Mo explained that he made the documentary for his family.

In a post on Instagram, he wrote: “So proud to have represented Britain and to achieve what I have as a British athlete.

Advertisement

“But my proudest achievement will always be being the husband and father to my amazing family.”

Sir Mo told the documentary that he wanted to tell his story to challenge public perceptions of human trafficking and slavery.

Advertisement

He explained: “I made this documentary for them to understand more about the experiences that shaped us to become the family we are today.

“Not every child has the easiest start in life, but that doesn’t mean they can’t achieve their dreams.

Advertisement

“I hope you all watch later and I can’t wait to hear what you guys think.”

What did Mo Farah reveal?

Advertisement

The Olympic star announced on Monday (July 11) that his real name is Hussein Abdi Kahin but he has obtained British citizenship under the name Mohamed Farah.

Mohamed Farah was the name given to him by the people who illegally brought him to Britain.

Advertisement

As a teenager, Sir Mo said he confided in his physical education teacher, who helped him get promoted by another family.

The teacher also helped him obtain British citizenship and a passport so he could compete in international athletics competitions.

Advertisement

He has since received messages of support from people around the world and said the response to the revelation has been “amazing”.

Sir Mo’s wife Tania said she experienced a “full range of emotions” after hearing about his true background.

Advertisement

She said: “My first reaction was heartbreak and sadness for him. I immediately pictured nine-year-old Mo, so helpless and vulnerable. And then I was equally angry at the people who did this to him, who put him down through it.”

Tania said Sir Mo is “finally allowing himself to feel those feelings of hurt and pain now…this documentary has helped him deal with it…It has to be a good thing.” It’s a form of therapy.”

Advertisement