James Atkinson had a peanut allergy and died after eating a slice of takeaway pizza from Deliveroo
An inquest was opened today into the death of a 23-year-old man who died after eating a single slice of pizza from deliveryoo.
The computer science graduate from Leeds is said to have suffered anaphylaxis after eating just a slice of pizza with his housemates in Newcastle, his family say.
James had previously ordered food from the restaurant but was unaware that it had recently started using peanut powder in the ingredients for the chicken tikka masala pizza.
His parents Jill, 58, and Stuart, 59, have been pushing for an inquest and hope it will give them answers about the circumstances surrounding the death of their son, who they say was always “so careful” about his allergy.
They also hope questions will be raised about the effectiveness of Deliveroo’s allergen information, saying such details need to be made clearer with an allergy checkbox on the order form.
On the CrowdJustice PageThe Leeds couple said: “We have been told by police that the restaurant may have swapped an ingredient in his pizza for a peanut powder on the day he died.
“We want to find out if that’s right, and if so, how that could have happened.”
“He will be missed forever”
A pre-inquest hearing was held at Newcastle Upon Tyne Corner’s Court, Civic Centre, Barras Bridge on 10 May. The full inquest into the death is currently listed October 19-22, 2022.
The Atkinsons said James will be forever missed by his family and friends and said they want to do everything they can to improve protection for allergy sufferers in his memory.
More than two million people in the UK are living with a diagnosed food allergy and the family hopes investigating whether there are lessons to be learned from their son’s death could help ensure that other allergy sufferers are better protected.
Writing on the Crowd Justice page, the family said: “James was a bright and lively character who lived life to the fullest. He loved sports, especially rugby, cycling and running.
“He moved to Newcastle to study Computer Science and liked it so much that he decided to stay. He loved spending time with his friends and would brighten up any room.
“He was the life and soul of a party and would do anything to make sure everyone had a good time.
“James loved his family time and looked forward to coming home to spending time with all of us and going for long walks with our dog. James will be missed forever by all his family and friends.
“We are committed to ensuring a full and fearless investigation into James’ death and we want to do everything in our power to improve protection for allergy sufferers in the UK.
“We have been told that there will be a three day inquest into James’ death on his 26th birthday.
“We should celebrate his life on this day and instead ask questions about what happened to him that night. We have no words to describe how painful this will be.”