Harry and Meghan to return to the UK next month

Advertisement

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will visit the UK for the first time since the Platinum Jubilee celebrations

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will visit the UK next month to attend several charity events.

Advertisement

It is their first visit since returning to the country for the Queen’s platinum jubilee in early June, when they attended the thanksgiving service at St Paul’s Cathedral.

It comes just weeks after Prince Harry filed a second lawsuit against the government and Scotland Yard over the decision not to allow him to pay for police protection when he comes to the UK.

Advertisement

Most popular

Prince Harry is married to Meghan Markle, daughter of Thomas Markle

When are Harry and Meghan visiting the UK?

Prince Harry and Meghan will visit the UK next month and will also travel to Germany as part of their trip to support “several charities close to their hearts,” their spokesman said.

Advertisement

The couple will travel to Manchester on September 5 for the One Young World Summit, an event bringing together young leaders from more than 190 countries.

The Duchess of Sussex is an advisor to the organization alongside Justin Trudeau, Sir Richard Branson and Jamie Oliver, among others.

Advertisement

They will then travel to Germany for the Invictus Games Düsseldorf 2023 One Year to Go event before returning to the UK on September 8th for the WellChild Awards.

A spokesman for the couple said: “Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are delighted to be visiting several charities close to their hearts in early September.”

Advertisement

It’s not clear if her two children, Archie, 3, and Lilibet, 1, will join her on the trip.

What is the lawsuit Prince Harry has filed against the Home Office?

Advertisement

Prince Harry, who retired as senior working royal in 2020, is taking legal action over a decision not to allow him to pay for police protection for himself and his family while in the UK.

Last month he won a tender to bring a High Court case against the Home Office.

Advertisement

His challenge concerns the February 2020 decision by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec) on his security, after he was told he would no longer be afforded the “same level” of personal security during a visit.

Details of the case, which is in its early stages, emerged on August 2, 2022, and a Justice Department spokeswoman said, “There are no hearings scheduled at this time, but the court has received a motion.”

Advertisement

The lawsuit was filed after Prince Harry said the decision to remove taxpayer-funded security made it unsafe for his family to come to the UK.

The article claimed the Duke was trying to keep his legal claim against the Home Office “secret” (Photo: Getty Images).

Dai Davies, former head of royal protection at Scotland Yard, branded the latest lawsuit as “nonsensical” and “offensive”.

Advertisement

The ex-Chief Inspector said: “For a man who is said to want to protect his privacy, he takes a funny way of going about it. I believe this is personal.

“Rather than looking for a workable solution, he took this path, which is fraught with problems. It’s offensive.”

Advertisement

The new case, which also names the Metropolitan Police, will focus on a conclusion by the Royalty and VIP Executive Committee (RAVEC) in January that private individuals should not be allowed to fund police protection.

Advertisement