British citizens Rofikul and Mahquil Islam were found dead at the Sylhet estate while the rest of the family was being treated in hospital
A British father and son have tragically died after suspected poisoning at a flat in Bangladesh.
Rofikul Islam, a 51-year-old taxi driver, and his 16-year-old son Mahquil were found at the Sylhet estate on Tuesday afternoon (July 26).
Mr Islam’s wife Husnara, 40, and the couple’s other two children, Samira, 19, and Sadiqul, 21, are all being treated at MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital after recovering from poisoning.
What happened to the Islam family in Bangladesh?
The family traveled to Bangladesh from their hometown of Cardiff on July 12 for a two-month visit.
Five days after their arrival in the country, the Islam family moved to the shelter of the city of Sylhet in the Tajpur area. In the same house live relatives of the Islam family, who moved in after one of the children fell ill during the trip.
The group sat down to dinner on Monday, July 25, before everyone fell asleep in the same room shortly after.
Relatives tried to open the apartment door between 10:00 and 10:30 the next morning, but without success.
Police were eventually called to the property after no noise was heard from the apartment and officers were able to unlock the door and enter.
The five family members were found unconscious inside.
They were taken to a local hospital, where it was later confirmed that both Rofiqul and Mahquil had died.
Ms Islam and her daughter Samira are reportedly still in critical condition while eldest son Sadiqul is being treated.
Superintendent Farid Uddin said: “After being taken to hospital, the father and youngest son were pronounced dead.
“Mother and daughter are in critical condition. They were transferred to the intensive care unit. The other brother, Sadiqul, is being treated.”
What did the police say?
Police initially suspected food poisoning as the cause, but have now launched a full investigation.
Speak with Wales Online, Osmani Nagar district chief said, “After discussing the overall situation with the doctors and inspecting the crime scene, we believe it may be a case of poisoning. Whether it is due to poisoning or something else is currently being investigated.”
Police told local media that other residents of the building had also been questioned as part of the investigation.
Superintendent Uddin added: “At the moment we think they fell asleep after dinner last night. This needs further investigation. How were they poisoned? how did they die We will be able to confirm this after investigation.”
Mohammad Rafiqul Islam, Deputy Secretary, Bangladeshi Association, Cardiff said: “Everyone is so shocked.
“It’s summer holidays and many Bangladeshi Brits are in Bangladesh right now, especially in Sylhet, Osmani Nagar and Tajpur, the place where this incident happened.
“We will never forget that. We pray for his soul.”