Boy, 2, choked on lollipop as he was sat on mum’s lap

Advertisement

Amy Mantle’s quick-thinking hairstylist came to the rescue after her son Baker got a lollipop stuck in his throat

A mother has shared the horrific moment her two-year-old son choked on a lollipop – while sitting on her lap.

Advertisement

Amy Mantle was left devastated after what was originally a relaxing appointment at the hairdresser’s turned into a nightmare – and she’s now warning other parents to beware of the dangers and campaign for moms’ first aid training.

Register to our Mazic News Today Newsletter

Mum-of-two Amy Mantle, 33, opened up about the dangers of lollipops after her two-year-old son Baker choked on one

Their two-year-old son Baker was given the lollipop as a treat to enjoy while sitting on his mother’s lap while she had his hair done.

Advertisement

But things took a turn for the worse when Amy saw that the candy had come loose from the end of the lollipop stick.

It wasn’t until she saw Baker unable to breathe that she realized what had happened, and when she couldn’t remove the candy from her son’s throat, she panicked.

Advertisement

“A one-off event can be deadly”

Luckily, her hairstylist, Gemma Fairhurst, came to the rescue by holding Baker upside down and repeatedly slapping his back to release the lollipop.

Advertisement

It took about 30 seconds for the candy to move out of Baker’s airway, and mum-of-two Amy, from Bispham, Blackpool, said of the horrifying experience on April 28: “I’m usually so paranoid about things and I never give my kid lollipops , grapes or Maltese, but I figured because ‘he’s been on my knee and he’s really acting, it doesn’t hurt you.’

“I realized that a one-off injury can be fatal and that awareness of the dangers of these lollipops is required.

Advertisement

“It was just horrible and I was shaking all day — I’ll never forgive myself for doing this to him or to me.”

Amy Mantle’s son Baker.

Amy, a speaker and founder of children’s boutique blessieandbaker.com, had her hair done at the You Hair and Beauty Lounge in Thornton-Cleveleys and took Baker with her.

Advertisement

“I realized he wasn’t breathing”

He was sitting on her lap as she had her curls trimmed, when he was offered a lollipop, thinking it would be okay since she could see him in front of her in the mirror, Amy let him enjoy the candy.

Advertisement

He quickly took the lollipop off the stick and held it up to show her when he suddenly coughed.

His shoulders began to move up and down and when Amy asked him if he was ok he didn’t answer – as he continued to tremble she realized something was seriously wrong.

Advertisement

Luckily, her quick-thinking barber pulled Baker off her lap and held him upside down before slapping his back and after 30 seconds the candy came loose.

Amy said: “Baker can be quite hyperactive but he sat on my knee and really behaved.

Advertisement

“I figured a lollipop wouldn’t hurt – he gave it a couple of licks and within sixty seconds he held up the stick and showed me the candy had come loose from the end.

“It was in his mouth and it sounded like he’d chewed it up so I just told him to be careful – then he coughed a little like he was trying to clear his throat.

Advertisement

“He made eye contact with me in the mirror and his shoulders started moving up and down but he’s a bit of a clown and likes to make people laugh so I asked him if he was okay .

“His shoulders started moving faster and that’s when my hairdresser called out ‘he’s not feeling well’ and I could tell he wasn’t breathing.

Advertisement

“The candy from the lollipop got stuck in his throat — I leaned him over and slapped his back as hard as I could, but it was like it was all happening in slow motion.”

Baker.

“If my barber wasn’t there, Baker wouldn’t be here”

Advertisement

Amy continued: “My hairstylist swung the chair around and tipped him upside down, she slapped his back for probably thirty seconds and another lady ran over to help.

“As I was about to pick up my phone to call 999, he started crying and the lolly popped out of his mouth.

Advertisement

“He broke into tears and I picked him up and sat on the other side of the drawing room – I held him for about twenty minutes.

“I’ve never experienced anything like that fear in my life – if my hairdresser wasn’t there, Baker wouldn’t be here today.

Advertisement

“I’ll never say a one time treatment doesn’t hurt, it made me realize I don’t have first aid training and a lot of moms don’t.

“My advice to other parents is never give kids lollipops, I think they should be banned and a lot of people feel the same way.

Advertisement

“Just always trust your gut – a one-time slip-up can be really deadly and it’s just not worth the risk.”

Advertisement